The Bahamas government says it is looking at the possibility of allowing commercial travel into the archipelago on or before July 1, but insisted that the date was not final and would depend on the current state of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country.

A report from Caribbean Media Corporation says the Bahamas has so far recorded 96 positive cases of the virus that was first detected in China last December and linked to the deaths of more than 300,000 people and the infection of 4.5 million others globally.

The Bahamas has recorded 11 deaths but over the past four days, the chain of islands has not recorded any new case of the virus.

In a radio and television broadcast on Sunday night, Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis said that as the country continues to make progress in its efforts to curb the spread of the virus, it would act on the advice of health officials “on the phased and gradual reopening of various islands and certain areas of the economy as well as a new normal for daily life that will be with us for some time.

Minnis said that The Bahamas is “eager to see our economy open up fully to travel for Bahamians and to welcome visitors back to our shores.”

He said his administration “is well advanced in our planning for the beginning of the re-opening of our tourism sector and to allow for travel in and out of the Bahamas.

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here